Re: What do I have to do???

by Moe Rubenzahl <moe(at)maxim-ic.com>

 Date:  Fri, 5 May 2000 14:19:47 -0700
 To:  Karen Ahrens <kahrens(at)mad.scientist.com>,
hwg-techniques <hwg-techniques(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I can't even get an interview.

That is very, very frustrating. I've been there. I was hugely bummed
on a number of occasions and started calling job hunting the great
emotional roller coaster! But I stuck with it and refined my approach
and landed a really terrific position.

There are many, many possible reasons. Maybe you are sounding
desperate; maybe you're applying for the wrong jobs; maybe your
resume is too long, too short or unclear; maybe you say too much or
not enough; maybe something in your experience listing is poisoning
you; maybe you just have not applied to enough places. Maybe there is
NOTHING wrong and you've just been unlucky! Might be expectations --
depending on the type of job, you might have to apply for 100
positions to get one interview.

Millions of possibilities -- the problem is finding out what they
are. Hiring managers won't tell you and friends are usually too close
to see it.

I strongly suggest you check out a non-profit career counseling
center and take some seminars, network with other job-seekers. If you
happen to be in the SF Bay Area, Career Action Center in Cupertino
(www.careeraction.org) is excellent. Otherwise, ask around an find
someone. I suspect a little coaching from a pro could be a great
benefit.

Subject: What do I have to do???
Author: Karen Ahrens
Date: 5/4/00 11:49 PM -0700